Wednesday, July 24, 2013

July 20-22 - Dublin, Ireland

Days 23-25

Even though this mini break weekend was frustrating in some aspects, I still had a fantastic time.  First thing I did after the airport fiasco, was catch the bus into town.  I got settled in my hostel and hit the town.  I did a walking tour to get myself oriented with the city.  I learned that Dublin came from Dubh Linn which means black pool.  The castle gardens were built right over that black pool.  The tour showed me many great places.  Then I started to utilize my Dublin Pass.  This pass got me into several things for free.

Day 23, Saturday

I did so many things.  I visited Dublin castle (sort of) and then went to the Chester Beatty Library off the gardens behind the state rooms of the castle. This library had an incredible exhibit going on.  Before I went into the exhibit though I spoke with the gentlemen at the information desk and told them I was a librarian.  One of them took me up to the reading room which can only be viewed by appointment only.  It was absolutely beautiful.  There was this bright read ceiling with gold oriental designs.  He showed me a couple of the registers that are held in the library.  I then moved on to view the exhibits.  The first floor was an exhibit of the Art of Books.  It was all about bindings and covers.  There were some truly amazing pieces.  There were also several manuscripts in Japanese and Arabic.  The second floor had an exhibit with more of the oriental and Asian influences that Beatty was known for.  The roof held a small garden that had a great view of the castle gardens.

I visited Christ Church, Dublinia and the Guinness Storehouse.  Christ Church was breathtaking.  They even have a treasure room down in the crypt.  It was cool. Dublinia is a museum that covers the Viking and medieval period of Dublin.  It was interesting to see how the Vikings took over the land and such.  What can I say about Guinness?  It was the best!  I even got a certificate saying I know how to pour a perfect pint. The Gravity Bar at the top of the storehouse provided some incredible views of Dublin. 360 degrees of views. I splurged on myself a bit and took a horse carriage ride back to the hostel.






Day 24, Sunday

I continued to utilize my second day with my Dublin Pass.  I highly recommend getting this pass.  It will pay for itself with all the free entrances and stuff.  Anyway, I started my day off by going to see the Book of Kells at Trinity College.  It was incredible.  The illuminated pages are simply beautiful.  It is hard to imagine how long it took the monks to do that.  I was able to also spend some time in The Long Room.  This is the library where there were a lot of things on display.  A couple of my favorites were the busts of Socrates, Aristotle, and Plato as well as the dyes and powders used to create the inks for the illuminating work.



After spending time at Trinity College, I headed over to the Wax Museum.  This was a lot of fun.  The first room I entered was all about the famous Irish writers which included James Joyce and Oscar Wilde.  There was also a horror section in the basement and a children's floor.  The top floor contained a recording studio where you could record yourself kareokeing to a music video.  I chose not to do it even though I was by myself.



I went the The Leprechaun Museum next.  This museum was all about Irish fairy lore and folk tales.  I loved it!  We went from regular size to really small, walked under the giant's causeway, and into the giant's room where I sat on a humongous armchair.  We left the giant room through the fireplace and through the rainbow to a room with a pot of gold.  We moved on to the forest where a few more stories were told.  After that we were led out into a garden and the gift shop.  A fun time was had by all.





Next I headed over to the Old Jameson Distillery where I learned about this wonderful Irish Whiskey.  YUM!!!  I got picked to be a taster.  Toward the end of the tour we got to taste the difference between Whiskey, scotch, and bourbon.  The Scotch was Johnny Walker Black (blended not as tasty as single malt), the bourbon was Jack Daniels, and then of course Jamesons.  Again YUM!  I got another certificate saying I was an official taster.  What a great lunch!


I then walked across town to see St. Patrick's Cathedral.  I figured it would be a shame to be in Dublin and not go to St. Patrick's... let alone what some of my friends would say...  Just as amazing as Christ Church, more so I would say.



I headed back to the hostel and asked for a recommendation on where to go for dinner.  I went to O'Neills. This is a fantastic Irish pub.  I had Guinness stew and sat and listened to live music.  One of the best recommendations I have had.  And the bar was very different.  It was kind of like a maze and you ordered food like in a cafeteria line.  That was weird but still amazing food.

Day 25, Monday

I went to the Hill of Tara and Newgrange.  See the next post for more info and great pictures.



That is all for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment