Wednesday, July 10, 2013

July 9 - Stratford-upon-Avon

Day 12 - July 9

Today we traveled to Stratford.  The bus ride was quite long.  We had to stop about an hour outside of Stratford to get the toilet on the bus fixed.  It was nice to take a break and chill for about 45 minutes.  As we came into the rest stop, I saw a sign for Holloway B&B.  It was awesome!  This was the first thing I have seen in this country that has my surname.  My family name traces back to England more than 200 years ago.


Upon arrival, we basically had the day to ourselves.  I hung out with my friend Bonnie as we wandered the streets that Shakespeare wandered.  There were so many interesting things to see.  The public library may look old on the outside but has very modern conveniences on the inside.



 Bonnie and I had a nice lunch in a pretty cafe overlooking the street.  The following pictures are the view from the window we sat at and then the window we sat at from the street.



The best part of the day was getting to see the Royal Shakespeare Company perform As You Like It.  It was an amazing performance!  It was very interesting because it was set in a more modern time.  All the characters were in clothing reminiscent of the 50s and 60s.  It amazes me how you can take a Shakespeare play and easily adapt it to other time periods.  This was one of those plays.  The music and songs were fabulous.  One or two characters even interacted with the audience.  I am hoping to go to another Shakespeare play Thursday night at the Globe.  That one should be a lot more traditional.




The Royal Shakespeare Company had several costumes on display.  This purple dress was worn in Othello.  It is my favorite.  Check out all the pictures on my FB page.  The second shot is a picture of the stage from where we were sitting.  It was a long but fabulous day.  Tried to sleep on the bus ride home.  We got in between 1:30 and 2:00 am.  I crashed.

That is all for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment